Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fantastic Fringe

For me, the best part of crocheting is finding different things to make while testing and expanding my skills. When Lissa May Photography asked me to make a fringe blanket for her, I was pretty nervous because I thought it would be a huge undertaking. She wanted one with spring colors that could be used for both boys and girls.
I was inspired by the fringe blanket here, that I found on etsy. I did end up buying the pattern from Sunset Crochet. It has the option of making it into a hammock for newborns, which is pretty cool.
I bought 7 skeins of yarn to use in this project.

Here is the shopping list:
After making the blanket/hammock part with the white homespun yarn, I was ready to start cutting the pieces for the fringe. It was actually easier and faster than I thought. I just wrapped the whole skein of yarn around the back of one of our dining room chairs. I started with what was left of the homespun and did the same for all the skeins. I cut down along one edge of the chair to make the long strips. This is what it looked like when I was done.

 
Then I took one piece of each different kind of yarn and looped and knotted it through the end of each row all the way around the blanket. I have to say I was so proud with how it turned out. I even had a few skeins of yarn that I didn't even use!

 
I think the best part was buying and using yarn that I have never used before. I hope to make another one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment